Tuesday, September 8, 2009

That's all Folks...

Thursday Sept. 3rd, game 71 of the home slate, the last game at Riverside-Commerce-Metro Bank-Stadium-Park. As I made my way onto City Island tonight, a lot of things were going through my mind. It was the last home game of the regular season. But we still had a shot at the playoffs. As much as I was ready fo the season to be over, the playoff buzz still resonates with me. I've been coming to baseball games on City Island since 1988. I haven't missed a playoff series since. The 1st 4 years I worked on the grounds crew, we won championships. I know for the full time guys it just extends what is a brutally long season. But this isn't the way I make my living. But it has become a way of life for me. Nothing beats a run at the championship. So if it happens, I'll be there to drink it all in. But if it ends tonight, that's ok too. But I'll miss hanging out in the cubby with my friends every night. We had a rough year, weather-wise, probably the worst I can remember in my 14 seasons, but we slugged through it and had a helluva good time doing it. We really, really had a good time doing it! That said, as we got ready for the game, there we chairs and a podium out on the field. Festivities, one last time. They had gathered up a lot of the former staff to come back and say a few words to send off the old ballpark. Rick Redd, Todd Vanderwoude, even the first owner Jerry Mileur. And of course, the driving force, Hizzoner Mayor Steve Reed. Its gotta be a bittersweet night for him, finally getting to point of getting a proper home for his crown jewel, professional baseball on City Island, but probably on his way out as mayor. But he can be proud of what he's accomplished here. Pretty much single-handedly and with a lot of people saying it would never happen. It all came to a close with an outstanding video put together by Director of Game Entertainment, Aaron Margolis. Superb. The game finally did get under way about 7:30. After the late night last night, it didn't look like we would get out early tonight either. Not that it was in the cards anyway, with post game festivities of our own, for a change, on tap. And the whole gang was in tonight. The highlights of our night were numerous. We celebrated the last night with our last trip to The Spot stand. The eats were on the Spot tonight. Sweet! I decided to celebrate the old park's last night by breaking out the retro uniforms. My 1st crew shirt, the old crew shorts, the 1st jacket and several old hats. Stylin'. And of course, the last rendition of "Are you smarter than the Senators Grounds Crew" We went down again tonight, but are very much looking forward to next year's contests. As for the game, the Sens got out of the box quickly with a 2 run 1st. It went back and forth until the ninth, tied at 3. They worked it, got some runners on and Joel Guzman delivered the game winner, a fly ball to the wall, a perfect ending to a perfect night. The post game was a lot of handshakes and farewells to players and staff. Would we all be back next week. Who knows, so we''ll just enjoy the night. We did do a little cleaning up, not a whole lot though. After we finished, I saw Frank just sitting on the tractor behind 2nd base. I walked out to see if everything was OK. He said he was just doing a little reminiscing, thinking about all the nights we spent here and all the the people we got to know over the years. I took out my phone and snapped a few pictures of the way things looked one last time. I thought of all the good friends I'd made here over the last 14 years. Too many to count. And the way the ballpark had slowly changed. And next year it would look completely different. I'll miss the old place. once I see the new place, I'll decide how much. After we finished, we headed for the back to hang out to have a few beers, smoke a big cigar and send another season into the books. I hung in there until about 1 AM. But I knew I still had work in the morning, so I gathered all my stuff and hit the road. 14 years. That's the longest I've had any job for 1 continuous stretch. Hopefully I'll be back for a 15th. maybe I'll check in from time to time to catch up on what's going on with the guys and the ballpark construction. Until then, Tim, Knute, Ben, Frank, Doug, Izzy, and Alan, thanks for one more great year in the sun. Later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment