Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let's play two...

Well, after 2 nights off, we finally got back on the field. And for the first time in team history, we started at 10:30 am and it was a double-header. We had quite a crew for a day game, Alan,Izzy, Doug, and myself, the part-timers, along with Newt and Ben, Newt's daytime assistant. We all arrived at around 8:30 am to get things in shape after all of the rain the past 2 days. We were quite fortunate that we didn't play last night, as the damge to the field was almost nil. I don't think the upper brass really has any insight into why we don't like to just "get a game in" on a rainy day. The damage to the field is, most times, substantial. It ends up costing the organization a lot more money in material and man hours to get things back in proper playing condition. If it happens more than 1 or 2 nights in a row, sometimes the damage can never be corrected and could create risky conditions for the players. In the end, it really isn't worth it. Today's pregame prep was as smooth as silk. The weather, although decent at gametime, was a bit cooler than the weekend and as the day went along, we had to deal with some intermittment rain showers, nothing heavy enough to stop the game. We were all shoe-horned into the 3rd base cubby and the topics of conversation varied widely and most were inappropriate enough to be left out of this post. We did resurrect yesterday's catch-phrase as we had several 'windows' of decent weather today.
I'd also like to comment on something I has been remiss in the lasst few games. That is: Spot dog's! The Spot stand was our favorite food stop at the park last year. Andthis year, we've picked up right were we left off. My personal favorite is the Grrrounder. A Grrrounder is a jumbo dog with spicy mustard, pepperjack cheese, grilled onions and Spot chili sauce. We also top ours off with some jalapenos from the condiment stand. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I had my first one the other night. Deee-licious. I believe it is the best food item at Metro Bank Park, without exception.
Our boys did not fare well again today.They were in both games until the end, but just keep making some fundamental mistakes and jsut can't get any clutch hits. A couple of the guys did break out a little today, with Bill Rhinehart getting a couple of hits including a towering home run too dead center field. Matt Whitney also got at least 1 hit that I can remember, so hopefully they all can start to break out a little and maybe pick up a few wins.
Work on the boardwalk continued throughout the game and is moving along nicely. I think I heard it may be open by Mid-May. Judging by the visible progress, I say that might be right.
Other than that, we'l be out for the next seven days, so I'll check in every few days until the next homestand starts on May 1. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment