Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Someone I can identify with.

Tues. Aug. 10 th. After a welcome night off, it was back in for another short 3 game series with the Binghamton Mets. Things seemed very much the same, except that I could tell that there was a little buzz in the place. Turns out we were to see the City Island debut of Orlando Hernandez, 'El Duque'. The Nats had picked him up and sent him to Harrisburg to get back to big league form and probably a September call-up. I didn't spot him until I saw him walk out o the first base line for the National Anthem. He looked like a grandfather compared to all the young faces he was standing with. But someone who was only slightly younger than me, so that's good I guess. He went back into the dugout and disappeared into the clubhouse. I figured we wouldn't see him the rest of the night. But lo and behold, in the 6th inning, it was time for a pitching change and who comes running from the bullpen? Yep, El Duque. And he didn't pitch too badly for a first outing in a while. He didn't look like the El Duque who was the MVP of ALCS in 1999, but that was 10 years ago. He threw a lot of off-speed stuff and was pretty effective for 2 innings, striking out 1 and walking 1. And he got a big round of applause when he came out. Just goes to show you, if you stick around long enough, you 'll see some big names come through. I've sure seen my share. Maybe I'll see if I can snag an autograph. But until then, later...

No comments:

Post a Comment