Thursday, May 28, 2009

Izzy's metaphor...

Wednesday night, game 6 of the home stand. A couple of late nights in a row wear me down pretty quick. I'm not as durable as I was when I started 14 years ago, I guess. Old age, relatively speaking of course, will do that to you I guess. Sucks. As I arrived on the field, i saw the ever-present (or so it seems) tarp was still rolled out on the field. Gonna be another one of those nights. In attendance, Alan, Izzy, Ryan and myself, as well as our fearless leader. We got a quick start to pre-game and finished in good time. No issues, even with all the previous days' moisture. As for the title of this entry, it goes to one of the pre-game festivities this evening. It was Bike Night. A group of local mostly Harley riders were in attendance, and paraded around the warning track before the start of the game. As they were making their way around the outfield track, one of the Senator players came out of the dugout with a bicycle and headed out to catch the biker group. At that point, Izzy stated " This is kind of like the Senators and the rest of the Eastern League this year. Motorcycles out front leading the pack, and the Sens on a bicycle trying to catch them." Very interesting. As for the game, the boys jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the 1st. I thought, hey, maybe we'll get a W tonight. That optimism was short-lived, however, as Erie put up 3 in the top of the 2nd. They stretched it to 5-2 in the next few innings. At drag time, the interns were once again cued up, with 'Jump on it' the selection again this evening. The dance went well. i wish I could say as much for the drag. They got confused as they resumed dragging, and missed huge sections of the infield. I tried to pick up as much as I could but there just wasn't enough time. So back to the drawing board, more practice and philosophical discussions. After the drag and a Spot Dog, I headed out back to check on the post-game supplies and found that Izzy had already gotten things squared away. I parked the vehicles by the gate and headed up to the boardwalk to watch the rest of the game from various areas. Since we had already sat in the bar stools in right field I went over to left field this time. Not bad at all. I also sat in the left field "cheap seats" for half an inning, also not bad at all. In the meantime the boys had scratched out a few more runs making it 5-4. I had joked earlier, that they would tie it up in the bottom of the 9th again and force extra innings again. No way that I really wanted that though. While I was sitting in left field, The boys strung together a couple of hits and managed to tie the score, the go-ahead hit coming from an unlikely source, Michael Martinez. He's been struggling all year, below the Mendoza line. So it must have felt good to get a clutch hit. Baby steps. I started back to the right field side, thinking it might be a good time for the Viking Rally Horn. Someone must have read my mind, as it went off, just as I passed behind the batters eye. It must have done the trick, because in the bottom of the 9th, the boys got a runner to 2nd and an error by the Erie 2nd baseman got the winning run home. It was a nice walk-off win. No post-game festivities tonight except for the...... wait for it...... tarp pull. looks like a good chance for more rain tomorrow night, but I am off, so maybe I'll stay dry. Until next time, most likely Monday night, see ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment