Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let's hit the deck...

The boys were back in town tonight, riding a a 2-game win streak, looking to, dare I say it, make it 3 in a row. I made it to City Island with relatively little trouble considering it is a holiday weekend and Front St. is its usual logjam, due to the festivities on Memorial Day weekend. I t was a gorgeous night for a baseball game with a sizable crowd on hand, I assume, to check out the new deck or boardwalk I guess we're calling it. In attendance, Izzy, Alan, Doug and myself, as well as our fearless leader, Knute. (I was informed that I have been spelling it incorrectly in all of my previous entries, so I stand corrected, and offer my sincerest apologies...) We blew through pre-game without a hitch and settled in to the cubby for the game, cuing up, as usual, a hockey game on the TV (Red Wings/Blackhawks) as well as keep tabs via the Internet on the Hershey Bears/Providence Bruins game. We had a short visit from the Bowie Baysox manager, Brad Komminsk, wondering where Frank was. He had try and call his cell, so he could bust his chops for not being here. No luck, though, as usual, as Frank keeps a low profile. As the game went on, the main topic of discussion was the "in-game entertainment" that the grounds crew was asked to participate in during the 5th inning drag. No one was very enthusiastic about it , due to the fact that: A: We don't really have a lot of time between innings to do the actual drag B: The suggestions for our "antics" were lame and done to death in other ballparks, and C: We don't really feel like doing it. The way we we approached about doing it was ham-handed and disrespectful (I think). But we thought about it and threw some suggestions around and agreed to give it a shot. So, tomorrow night, we shall see. The boys actually jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first and the game was cruising right along. After the drag, Dopug and I decided to get something to eat and go out to the boardwalk and hang out for a little while. It was pretty crowded, looks like its going to be a very popular place, and we did eventually find a place to sit at the bar stool/ drink rail area in right field. We really enjoyed the ambience and the view of the game was quite good. Alan joined us after a bit, and we ran into Jordan, one of our other part-time guys. Jordan only works Sundays for right now, but will probably get more appearances after school is out. The game was over fairly early, about 9:30, so got moving on post-game to get as much done as possible, because, it was Friday, and that means fireworks. I don't hate them as much as I used to, because the trash pick-up in the outfield has been minimized by better set-up by the fireworks crew and Tim's purchase of a lawn sweeper to pick up most of the debris that makes it onto the field. We did get to shoot some in-game fireworks as well, with Marvin Lawrence's 1st inning shot. I don't think all of the folks on the boardwalk were ready for them, though, and I think we scared the crap out of more than a few of them. Other than that, it was a fairly uneventful evening with the Sens picking up a win to make it a 3 game winning streak. I guess anything can happen now. Into double digits in the win column, a 3 game winning streak... Maybe we should start printing the playoff tickets now. Or maybe not. (and the Bears won 6-4, and the Blackhawks won 4-3 in OT)
More after Saturday's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment