Thursday, May 7, 2009

who's gettin' the wet?

Well, another night of baseball on City Island and..... it's raining. For the fourth big day in a row the rain's coming down in buckets. We're playing a double-header tonight, theoretically speaking , of course, to make upfor the rain out on Tuesday, the game we almost played. The 1st game started at 5, so since I work until 5:30, I didn't make it in for pregame. It was about the 2nd inning when I showed up in the cubby, rainsuit in hand. I bought my current rainsuit last year, I think I wore it once. I've already had it on 4 times this year. That's not good. it looked like it was going to start pouring any second when I got to the park, and it finally started about the 4th inning. It really picked before the 6th inning started, so we (Frank, Doug, Newt and myself) started filling buckets with Turface to prepare for the onslaught. Turns out, that was like preparing for a hurricane with sponges. The game was tied 0-0 in the top of the 6th. Erie (the team we finally started to play) was retired and we came to bat. The rain was coming down even heavier now. We did manage to get a guy on, and uke Montz stepped in. He drilled a pitch into the left field seats and put us up 2-0. After Erie got the 3rd out, we started out to spread Turface, but the umps called for the tarp instead. We put it on and sat back and watched some hockey on TV while it just poured. They halted the game at about 7:00 and we waited for an hour until they finally decided there wouldn't be any more baseball that night.
We did have a surprise visitor, though. When I arrived, Newt's girlfriend Ashleigh stopped by with their dog Buster. Buster is a minature daschund, still a puppy, and full of piss and vinegar. he made his rounds, visiting everyone, generally spreading himself around. He never did acheive his ultimate goal, which I believe was, to run out onto the field. That might have been very interesting. They didn't stay too long, due to the impending weather.
Oh, did I forget to mention, the Senators did win the first game, so that makes 3 out of their last 4. Definitely some signs of life. We're playing 2 again tomorrow night, starting at 5 again and the weather, finally is supposed to be dry, possibly even nice!. We'll see if they boys can pick up where they left off and maybe put another one in the win column. Should be interesting to see what kind of damage they did to the field. This will be the end of the homestand, though, so we'll have time to get things cleaned up for next homestand. we only have a 3 game set next time out, including a 10:30 am start on the 13th, which I will be attending, so that should be fun. I'll check in again after the double-header on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment