Monday, May 4, 2009

Things you never thought you'd see....

Not having attended Saturday night's game, I guess I'll have to recap a bit. In short the boys won again, the first time they've won back-to-back games this year. Now, they've only won 4 games so far, so even though it's not really a huge accomplishment otherwise, in perspective, it really is. Showing some signs of life. They added a few new guys, who look like they can hit and field. And my guys tell me they played the game in under 3 hours, which is a notable accomplishment these days. Sunday started off rainy. I fully expected the game to be cancelled, as it rained steadily all morning, but not hearing anything to the contrary, I headed for City Island, resigned to wait around for a couple of hours, or play in the rain. Sure enough, the tarp had just come off as I arrived, even though it was still raining. We quickly prepped the field and then began the task of trying to dry things up enough to be playable. The drying agent we use, known as Turface, isn't cheap, about 7.50 a bag. We went through quite a few bags, so it was rather expensive to play yesterday. Taking into consideration the rather meager attendance and factoring in the wages paid to all of the ballpark employees, I' m guessing they didn't make a whole lot of money. I don't understand the logic, but hey, it's not my call. One we got the field prepped, the managers and umpires conferred, and....... we put the tarp back on. Mind you, it was raining the entire time. but after about an hour delay, we took the tarp back ( it was still raining....) we decided to start. In the top of the first, the R-Phils hit a few balls into the deep portion of left and left-center fields and the warning track was more than a little wet. So, of course, our guys fell and the got a couple of triples and a 3 run lead after 1. Our boys scratched back but just couldn't quite put it together. They had there moments, but leaving the bases loaded twice, once with no outs, doesn't help the cause any.
Speaking of moments, there were a couple of oddities yesterday.
I've never seen a 6 foot rooster with long hair and man-boobs. Saw it yesterday. All I can say is come to the ballpark and see for yourself. Its worth the price of admission. The 2nd moment was a hitting coach (coaching 1st base) getting into an argument with an umpire over a pick-off play and getting tossed before the start of the bottom of the 9th. It was Reading's hitting coach Frank Cacciatorre (who was our hitting coach a few years ago). I mean they were winning 8-4, so I'm not sure what he gained by it, but, knowing Frank, I'm sure he was right and was just making a point to the umpire crew to get it right. Things you don't see very often, but will if you hang around long enough. Ah well, didn't get out of there until about 6:40 pm, so I missed most of the Bears game. Looks like a lot more rain tomorrow, so that might make 2 Monday rainouts in a row. Something else that doesn't happen very often. Back again tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment