Friday, May 28, 2010

Draggin' the Line..

With my butt. Its Friday May 7th. Game # 8 of the home stand and I'm fading fast. I did something today that I've never done before. I stopped at the Turkey Hill before heading for City Island and bought a 5-Hour Energy drink. Never thought I'd have to resort to this, but I'm afraid its the only way I'm going to make it through the evening. Too many long, long days. I've had a fairly busy week at along with all the baseball and so I'm just about out of gas. As I arrived on the Island, i remember its Friday, so that means fireworks, which lengthens the night even more. I know most of the fans love the fireworks, but I've seen so many shows over the past 15 seasons that I can really take them or leave them. I don't really have time to stand around and watch them, because I'm trying to get my post-game work finished and get outta town at a reasonable hour. We haven't really had the issues with the debris on the field as much as we used to, so my absolute hatred for the fireworks shows has mostly faded. it actually looked to be a decent evening for baseball tonight, so that improved my outlook greatly. our opponent for this weekend series would be the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the newest entry in the Eastern League. The Squirrels are affiliated with the San Francisco Giants, kind of an odd arrangement. The Giants had double A affiliates in the Texas league for years, but decided to move into Norwich, Ct a few years ago when that affiliate was open. The fans there never really warmed to them, surprise, surprise. So when their lease was not renewed, nobody was shocked. They moved south to Richmond , VA, another odd situation. The Atlanta Braves had their Triple-A team there for quite a few years, but pulled out for a closer, newer facility in Georgia. That left Richmond with a big big empty stadium. So the Giants moved their affiliate there, still far far away from California, with no regional fan interest. The stadium itself is cavernous by Eastern League standards holding 10000 plus. But by all accounts, they're doing pretty well, packing in the fans, who must've been a little hungry for baseball, after having it all those years, and then all of a sudden, nothing. Tonight, though the Sens were coming off a tasty little 6-3 win the night before, finally getting the upper hand on Bowie. They started off strong against the Squirrels,jumping out to a quick2-0 lead in the first, only to see the Richmond put up 3 in the 2nd. Both teams added a run over the next 2 innings, with the Squirrels on top 4-3 after 6. They added 1 more in the 7th to make it 5-3, and that's the way it ended up. After all the post-game hoopla, we got our work done, and I headed out, seriously dragging butt. I hoped to make it home without falling asleep. We still have 2 more games to go. Can I make it 10 for 10? We'll see I guess. Until then, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment