Monday, May 17, 2010

The end of the road.

I'm jumping ahead a bit to May 5th. We're now 6 games into the 10 game home stand. Its starting to wear on me. You know, working all day at the'real job', then coming here right after and not getting home until 11 or 12. Its a very long day. And, of course, I have to play the 'age card' too. Not as young as I used to be. But today, I catch a break. Its a day game, starting at 10:30. so I get to sleep in a little, go work the game, and then get home before 5 o'clock. And I can cut the grass, tinker around the house a bit and then relax. So I headed for City Island, stopping at the bagel place first to pick up a little breakfast for the boys and myself. When I arrived, it was shaping up to be another beautiful day for a baseball game. The previous 2 nights had been pretty decent as well, except n the actual baseball department. This series was a 4 gamer with the Bowie Baysox. Our buddy, the Baysox manager Brad Komminsk was back for another season, so that was good. But his boys were beat up on us the last 2 nights. it was a little disappointing the way they did it, too. The Sens built a nice 3-0 lead on Monday, only to let it slip away and lose 5-3 in the late innings. Tuesday night they couldn't get anything going and got pasted 9-0. So maybe today was turnaround day. The crew today was the same as most of the previous days, me, Izzy and Doug. We whipped through the pregame prep and then settled into the crew area for some breakfast. Bagel sandwiches today, good stuff. Of course the ballpark was full of kids and it was noisy. The Baysox got out of the box quickly and it looked to be another one of those days. But I wasn't going to let it ruin my day. I was here instead of at work, the sun was shining, and I was loving it. I wasn't dog-tired from lack of sleep either. Around the 4th inning, Knute got a phone call, and said he had to go take care of something. It sounded a bit odd, but I didn't dwell on it too much. After the 2nd drag at the end of the 6th inning, I headed back to my locker to get some cash for a Spot Dog. As I was going back around to the back, I saw Chris Moppin, the clubhouse manager, carrying an equipment bag towards the back parking lot. On the end of the bag was the number 37. So it looked like the 'something' that Knute had to take care of was getting the Boy Wonder to his car. As I came back from my locker, I saw a group of people coming from the player's locker room area. It was Tim, Ben, Knute, Chris, and a couple of Harrisburg City policeman with Stephen Strasburg in the center. It looked like a perp walk. There were news cameras there, too, so I decided, what the heck, I might as well jump in too. It was the end of the road here in Harrisburg for him, and the end of the buzz. I must confess, even with all the hassles, I enjoyed it for what it was. So now we moved into A.S., after Strasburg. I wish him well, hope he really makes his mark. And I can say I was there at the start. As for the game, well the Sens took it on the chin again, 7-1. No turnaround today. Ah well, maybe tomorrow then. I don't have to be back for another 24 hours, so until then, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment